Re: ecos + lwip

Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Simon Kallweit<simon.kallweit@intefo.ch> wrote:
Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
sys_thread_new() will use preallocated memory for the stack, while
cyg_lwip_thread_new() will take the stack as an argument. Therefore by
default you should use cyg_lwip_thread_new(). When using sys_thread_new()
the ecos should fail when all preallocated memory is used.

But sys_thread_new() also takes stacksize as an argument. It passes the same value to cyg_lwip_thread_new() after validating it. So I guess it should be ok.

Yes, sys_thread_new() takes a stacksize argument, but no pointer to the actual memory. The current code uses a statically allocated buffer for all lwip's internal stacks, but it is not large enough to hold additional stacks from users, hence the cyg_lwip_thread_new() API where the user can provide a pointer to the actual stack memory to be used.

Your application should FAIL when using sys_thread_new() with the following message:

"Not enough memory to allocate the thread's stack. You may want to use cyg_lwip_thread_new() instead of sys_thread_new() so you can provide external stack memory."

This message should pop up unless you have asserts disabled?!?

Maybe I should add an option in the CDL to enlarge the statically allocated internal stack memory so users could allocate threads with sys_thread_new(). But I don't personally like it, as you may waste memory. cyg_lwip_thread_new() does solve this problem by forcing you to allocate the stack memory yourself.

Please try to use cyg_lwip_thread_new() and tell me if that works.

Simon