Re: athttpd update

    Oyvind> short story: athttpd is stable, but orphaned.
    Oyvind> If someone wants to step up and take the reins this is as
    Oyvind> good an oportunity as any.

    Oyvind> athttpd has been living on www.ecosforge.net for a while.
    Oyvind> There are no changes(to my knowledge) that are in eCos CVS
    Oyvind> and not on www.ecosforge.net and the athttpd version in
    Oyvind> eCos CVS is *very* dated by now.

    Oyvind> The situation is now that we (Zylin) is phasing out
    Oyvind> athttpd(which served us well) in favour of libmicrohttpd,
    Oyvind> which works out of the box with eCos and has an LGPL
    Oyvind> license and also works w/uClinux, Linux, etc. From a
    Oyvind> performance/size point of view, I don't honestly know the
    Oyvind> differences between athttpd/libmicrohttpd, because we have
    Oyvind> never worked on a project where it mattered. Another
    Oyvind> advantage of libmicrohttpd is that the evident user base
    Oyvind> is vastly larger than for athttpd.

Just to clarify something, LGPL'd code is generally not suitable for
eCos applications. Because we do not use shared libraries, LGPL
requires that developers ship a complete set of object files to their
end users. That means not just object files for any eCos code, it must
include application code as well. Specifically, those end users should
be able to fix a problem with libmicrohttpd, recompile it, and then
rebuild the entire eCos application with the fixed library.

For many eCos developers the idea of having to ship any of their
application-specific code, even in object file format, is
unacceptable. Hence there is no LGPL code in the eCos repository.
Anybody thinking of using libmicrohttpd should think carefully about
the licensing implications.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                                   eCos Configuration Architect
eCosCentric Limited    The eCos experts      http://www.ecoscentric.com/