Re: Switching to using git on eCosForge

[Apologies to Ãyvind for the repost, my original email to ecos-discuss
was bounced]

 Ãyvind Harboe wrote on 2009-09-17 13:56:
> [...]
>
>> Why git in particular?
>>

> No reason not to really.
>
> git is easy to use when cloning/downloading + web interfaces exist
> where you can download snapshots.

Ditto for mercurial and bazaar.  The web interfaces were pretty much all
the same.  wry uses git internally as he uses linux and whenever he
raves about something, I find the equivalent in mercurial.  I use linux
mostly, but through a Windows desktop since I need to use real windows
(i.e. not hidden in a VM).

The same could be said of any of the three :-)

>> The choice of an alternative RCS should also take into consideration
>> Windows users, as well as speed and ease of use.
>>

> Web interfaces on the server kinda take care of my greatest
> concern about those that do not want or need to learn git.
>
> They can wget + tar ...., no version control system at all involved.

As above, all three provide similar interfaces, so no need with actually
using any of them.

However, for distributed development, not using proper DRSC tools,
whichever you choose, is foolhardy IMHO.

> Also there are nice git server sites for those that have some
> pet project they are working on and want to share, e.g.
> http://repo.or.cz/, which pretty much fills the role that
> www.ecosforge.net has had up to now
>

> The above said, I don't think I'll care if eCos CVS switches to
> git or mercurial. Mercurial is next on my list of distributed systems
> to look into and if I only did closed source development, probably
> the preferred solution.

I dont think you can say mercurial (or hg for short) is better for
closed source.  All three mentioned are pretty much equal in concept and
basic functionality when it comes to open source development.  git is
certainly the most powerful, no disagreement there, but you can really
hang yourself a lot more easier, just as cvs admin allows you to, only
to discover the problem mistake years down the line ;-)   The other two
IMHO have a lot more structure to them making it harder to hang
yourself, or rather, making you think twice before trying :-)  Sure, if
you are an expert then nobody dies, but what are the chances of every
developer with write access being an expert with git?

-- Alex Schuilenburg

          **** Visit us at ESC-UK  http://www.embedded.co.uk ****
          **** Oct 7-8 on Stand 433 at FIVE ISC, Farnborough ****