Re: Switching to using git on eCosForge

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> wry uses git internally as he uses linux and whenever he
> raves about something, I find the equivalent in mercurial.

Actually, I chose to use git internally (for several months now) on my
current main project because it was the only one of the three (git/bzr/hg)
that I had never used before. I've learned a lot and would now describe
myself as more proficient with git than the others.

FWIW, git tells me that I have 36 branch tags in my repo at the moment: some
traditional "feature" branches, some "main" subsystem branches which pull
from the feature branches, some to mirror the relevant parts of CVS, a
"master" branch for testing which I octopus my subsystem branches to - and
then the high-level bits of the whole thing over again so I can easily keep
an anoncvs-based copy. At first glance this many branches might seem to be
overkill, but I'm finding that it works well - and remember that branches
are very very cheap in this brave new DRCS-based world. The gitk graphical
viewer is worth its weight in gold.

As you say, I expect that I'll be able to do all of this just as well in hg
- I'll just need to put on some differently-tinted glasses :)

Ross

--
Embedded Software Engineer, eCosCentric Limited.
Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK.