Re: eCos VCS switch

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

A switch of the public CVS repository to Mercurial would be a major
improvement.

Agreed. My initial findings are also that mercurial is the preferred solution. It is not as powerful as git, or even as fast,

By "more powerful", do you mean git allows you to do anything of significance that hg/bzr doesn't? I didn't think there was from my own checking, but I'm prepared to be corrected.

Or by any chance do you mean that it's more powerful/fast if you have the ability to remember which of the gazillion different git commands to use with precisely which set of arcane options. Then it's a speedy one-liner!

Personally I would need a lot of convincing to use git. Or more precisely, to make the eCos community with its breadth of users with varying experience do so. I think it would raise the bar to using eCos in a very negative way.

The only thing that might ameliorate it would be something like http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ but it seems like early days for that, I'm not impressed by their webpage, it seems to have restricted capabilities (but I may well be wrong on this count), and at best it's playing catch-up with the others.