Re: Re: eCos VCS switch

Sergei Organov wrote on 2009-09-18 11:40:
> Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> writes:

>>> Agreed.  My initial findings are also that mercurial is the preferred
>>> solution.  It is not as powerful as git, or even as fast,
>>>
>> By "more powerful", do you mean git allows you to do anything of
>> significance that hg/bzr doesn't? I didn't think there was from my own
>> checking, but I'm prepared to be corrected.
>>

> git rebase
>
> is my favorite and is very handy to maintain changes w.r.t official
> repository to be then contributed back. BTW, rebasing is what CVS
> actually does with your local changes when you do 'cvs update'. Except
> git rebase is much more safe and convenient. I can't tell if hg or bzr
> already have something similar though as they seem to borrow features
> from each other rather quickly.

hg rebase [--source rev | --base rev] [--dest rev] | [--collapse] | [--continue] | [--abort] | [--keep]

The rebase extension is distributed as part of the standard mercurial
release :-)

As I said, I have not found any additional functionality provided by git
that you cannot do in mercurial ;-)

My favourite hg extension is forest which allows you to create a single
repository consisting of several other repositories, kind of like CVS
modules. In other words, you can work with all the repositories, or just
with subsets.  This means that multiple changes can be push/pulled
into/from multiple repositories, using a single standard hg push/pull
commands, as well as all the usual hg commands and functionality.  I
have not heard of equivalent functionality in git ;-)

-- Alex Schuilenburg

          **** Visit us at ESC-UK  http://www.embedded.co.uk ****
          **** Oct 7-8 on Stand 433 at FIVE ISC, Farnborough ****