Re: connect ethernet cable at run-time

On 2009-09-24, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2009-09-24, Lars Dahlin <haraxidix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to be able to connect the ethernet cable and it
>>>shouldn't be necesary to restart ecos.

[...]

>> Again, I've never seen that.  We connect/disconnect Ethernet
>> cables all the time, and never have to restart anything.
>>
>> We do have code in our Ethernet drivers that makes sure that
>> the Ethernet MAC duplex setting is changed to match the PHY's
>> negotiation results when a cable is plugged in, but I don't
>> think that has anything to do with what you're talking about.
>
> I think the issue may be that if you start the device with it
> disconnected, nothing _automatically_ will bring the interface
> up using BOOTP/DHCP.

If one calls init_all_network_interfaces() before the Ethernet
link is up does the DHCP code give up and terminate?  IOW,
doesn't the DHCP client code retry if it doesn't get a
response?  That seems a bit odd.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I don't know WHY I
                                  at               said that ... I think it