Re: Re: connect ethernet cable at run-time

On 25/09/2009, at 1:14 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2009-09-25, Laurie Gellatly <laurie.gellatly@netic.com> wrote:

With my project I found some interesting things with DHCP and
network cables. If the network cable was unplugged at startup
then there is no IP address. I found that I could run out of
file handles

Does that happen because of something the DHCP client task is doing?
It's a little time ago now but from memory I changed the client behaviour.

and that DHCPinit call would never return even if the cable
was later inserted.  I had to work around that and then
regularly call init_all_network_interfaces in the main TCP
listening task just after it also fed the watchdog if the IP
address was 0.0.0.0.

Wouldn't fixing the DHCP client code be a better approach?
So I did change that but the solution required more. So first I had to make it return even if no address could be obtained (not doing so made the watchdog bark).

Switching in and out of DHCP or static addressing was also
coded.

Most of our products require you to reboot the device after changing the IP configuration.

Once i'd made these changes my web server (main TCP task) then knew it could not do it's work and instead tries to obtain an address on a regular basis. The net result is that switching DHCP on or off can be achieved without a reboot.
--
Grant

...Laurie:{)