Re: eCos copyright assignment for Freescale IMX35 RedBoot

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 01:54:30PM +0200, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> > Well, depending if they've started from 2.0 onwards, then they can of
> > course combine GPL code - subject to the whole then inheriting the full
> > GPL terms/obligations. I have to qualify that statement as it is
> > surprising the number of times that code turns out to have come from
> > pre-2.0 which was not "full GPL" compatible (and had onerous assignment
> > terms to a previous copyright holder).
>
> It's 3.0'ish timeframe.

Great, then there's a better chance that the original developer is still
assigned or known to the product team.

> > "But I thought eCos was dead".
>
> Naaah.... I'm sure patch such as the one below will be committed
> in no time! ;-)
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2009-10/msg00006.html
>
> > I expect those in the know may continue to prefer to work directly with
> > a development repository or certified base, and may even consider an
> > eCos "tag, tar & compress" minor release bump each Spring & Autumn as a
> > distraction. However, showing the lights are on to the as-yet
> > uninitiated is an important part of continuing to build upon eCos'
> > growth.
>
> Actually switching to DVCS here(git/mercurial) is going to be a HUGE boost
> here. The solution to this just falls out very naturally....

Be careful not to mistake tools for practice, nor assume universal
familiarity. The key issue here is ensuring that as a wide an audience
as possible is readily aware of contibutions.

 Daniel

  Daniel Morris - Sales & Marketing Director
  eCosCentric - The eCos and RedBoot experts
  Tel: +44 1223 245 571 - info@eCosCentric.com
  DDI: +44 1269 591 171 - danielm@eCosCentric.com