Re: Network latency

Hi Grant

Thanks for the info, following your advise we've done the following:

We're using a PowerPC with a FEC, which is directly connected to an
ethernet switch MAC using the MII.

The MAC was set to full duplex, 100MBits, no flow control.

The stock if_fec.c during fec_eth_reset, sets the Transmit control to
"4+0", which is bit 29 - Full Duplex Enable in X_CNTRL.

It also however configures fec->RxControl = RxControl_MII | RXControl_DRT;

The DRT is "Disable receive on transmit".

In the manual for the MPC852T it says to set DRT active for
half-duplex, and disable for Full Duplex.

When I remove the DRT being or'd in to the RxControl register, we get
much better reliability.

I'm now seeing a pause about once an hour, instead of once every
couple of minutes.

Does anyone know why

fec->RxControl = RxControl_MII | RXControl_DRT

contains the DRT portion when it looks like the fec driver is setting
up for full duplex ?

TIA

Andy.