Re: jffs2 on IDE?

Stanislav Meduna wrote:
is it possible to use a jffs2 filesystem on a IDE partition?

I'm no expert on either, but it ought to be possible. You may need to play carefully with how you map one to the other (how many IDE blocks make up a simulated flash eraseblock) to get good performance.

If not, what is the recommended way of creating a filesystem
on an industrial PC platform using CF-cards for data, where
an unclean shutdown can't be avoided?

This is a tricky case. I don't know what your application is doing with the IDE drive, but in some cases you might be able to mitigate the risks by keeping the filesystem read-only for much of the time.

An alternative plan could be to port in a journalled filesystem. ext3 springs to mind, though I don't know how tightly its internals are wired into the Linux kernel (and I think you might end up needing to port in jbd as well); Sun's ZFS has been ported to several OSes and might also be worth a look.

Ross

--
Embedded Software Engineer, eCosCentric Limited.
Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK.