Re: Re: Basic question about porting to Xilinx PPC440

Hi Salvatore,

Just for curiosity:
1) are you porting PPC440 ecos to Xilinx (so already have another port, es 405?) or are you working on PPC405 ecos to Xilinx?

Yes, I need to port eCos to Xilinx PPC440 (i.e. Virtex-5). There is a port to Xilinx PPC405 (Virtex-4) available from MIND, which hopefully can be used as a starting point.

2) Thanks but i can't understand your response: you say that ppc405 emulated start at 0xfffffffc, right? moreover you can't find any binary (neither file or procedure). So: how is possible to load an elf directly from reset vector? Reading the Xilinx doc i note that is possible to generate a .ace file containing also a .elf directly so:

3) is possible to instruct Xilinx tool to accept only a binary flash image and no elf at all?

Perhaps I didn't quite understand your question. There are many ways how to bootstrap the CPU and load an OS or an application in a Xilinx chip. The way we are doing it here is using a basic bootloader program. The bootloader is compiled into an .elf file and then merged with the hardware bitstream .bit file and the .bmm memory map file with the data2mem utility. This produces new .bit bitstream file which now includes the bootloader. Every time this file is loaded into the FPGA (we are using a separate CPLD to do this initial load) the bootloader is executed automatically (it starts from the 0xFFFFFFFC address). The bootloader then goes to read another .elf file in SREC format from an external flash memory. That file holds our OS (which is currently VxWorks) and an application software.

I hope this helps.
/Mikhail