Re: Recommodation for start of new chip-family support

Hi Manuel,
On Thursday 22 April 2010 22:22:43 Manuel Borchers wrote:
> first of all thanks jerzy for your quick answer (did your message arrive
> at the list?)
I suppose wrong account I used.

> > I started with the HAL port for one of the boards. I chose to do a
> > board-level port to use the ARM9 variant infrastructure. But I'm getting
> > the feeling, that this isn't the right way to go, because the UART
> > (code) for example is the same on all the boards for all the processors.
>
> What I wanted to stress here is the hugh amount of boards that are
> available. I'll tyr to show a small hierarchy:
> netX-Family
> -> netX500 -> NXHX500-RE
>            -> NXHX500-FB
>            -> NXHX500-ETM
>            -> NXSB100
>            -> NDSB
>            -> NXBB-HMI
>            -> ...
> -> netX50  -> NXHX50-RE
>            -> NXHX50-ETM
>            -> ...
> -> netX10  -> NXHX10-RE
>            -> ...

My suggestion is :
hal/arm/netx/netx500 <- all board variant based on netx500 controller i.e.
-> NXHX500-RE
-> NXHX500-FB
-> NXHX500-ETM
-> NXSB100
-> NDSB
-> NXBB-HMI
the same scenario for other controller
hal/arm/netx/netx50
hal/arm/netx/netx10

hal/arm/netx/var <- common code like initialization of PLL, IO, memory what
ever which doesn't fit to /devs location will be placed here

> So, why don't I want to make board-level ports? Because there is much
> common board-level init stuff (configuring multiplex options for IOs,
> the simple polles UART code most ARM ports are using, ...) that
> sometimes depends on the chip type, sometimes it's even common to all
> chips (i.e. UART). Often it only depends on things like how many UARTs
> are there on the board.
UART and other driver will be located in /devs in turn proper hal variant e.g.
NXHX50-RE will provide such information like number of UARTs

--
MiÅego dnia / Best regards
jerzy