Re: Re: Question about RedBoot Networking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Jingzhao wrote:
Hi, all,

I am new to RedBoot and eCos. I was able to compile RedBoot and
download it to a VMWare machine. Nice output from the console.

Hi Jingzhao,

What target do you use?

However,ÂI don't know how to enable networking for RedBoot.ÂI don't
see any information from the RedBoot output what IP address it uses.
The "ip_address" command is not there.

You have to add 'CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS' eCos package. That package provides a generic, platform-independent Ethernet I/O.

When I looked the eCos configuration for RedBoot, the "RedBoot
Networking" is grayed out. I cannot even specify a static IP address
as the field is disabled.

Can any one give me a hand?

With added package above you will get 'RedBoot Networking' enabled, but, that won't be mean that you will get networking on your target (your target must have H/W Ethernet device drivers something like

    CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_YOURNIC
    CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARCH_TARGET

).

Well, in such a case (if your target has not NIC) RedBoot will say about
an absent NIC on its start

+No network interfaces found

HTH

Sergei