New Problem for making eCos for an iPaq

Hello!
I am once again attempting my efforts for building eCos for an iPaq
3650. In this case for building Red Boot I've created a directory for
it and of course downloaded the source code kit from anonymous on the
site. However after confirming that my configuration tool knows where
to find the compiler tools and other things, I promptly tell it to
make the binary (Or whatever else it will be doing.) Instead I am
getting this complaint:
make -j2 --directory "/usr/local/iPaq1/i1_build"

make: *** /usr/local/iPaq1/i1_build: No such file or directory.  Stop.

Now here's where it gets stranger, upon naming and of course saving
the build name it then creates the required directories. i1_build and
i1_install for example.

I confess I am something at a loss here, this has happened three times
so far, I thought I was doing something wrong the last two.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com