Re: Help creating synthetic targets on cygwin-pc.

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Stuart Longland wrote:
I'm very much new to eCos... so I could be wrong...

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 04:49:59PM -0700, dcoder wrote:
Hello.  I don't have any embedded hardware so I can't build any thing
'real'.

So, I'm trying to build a synthetic target and I am having problems
doing so.  I am using cygwin, and all my work from a bash shell, just
as the manual states.

[snip]
Anyways, does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here?

Could it be something to do with the fact that you are not building it for an i686-pc-linux-gnu host, but rather, a Cygwin host? They are not the same.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/synth-porting.html seems to
suggest that this does not work on Windows... but I'd imagine you'd be
looking for a "cygwin" synthetic target, not an "i386linux" one.
Unless of course you're trying to cross-compile the synthetic target
from a Win32 host, then the situation becomes very different indeed.

Hi

Stuart is quite right. It's not possible to play with eCos *Linux*
synthetic target on Cygwin. But, you can get eCos working for some PC*
targets either for Qemu or VMware H/W emulators. I never try Qemu on
win32 hosts, I use it on Linux host as well, but, I guess it's possible.
For Qemu I usually use eCos 'pc_rltk8139' target (Qemu has support for
this Realtek NIC), for VMware you can try eCos 'pc_vmWare' PC target
with AMD Lance PCI NIC.

Seek the list around Qemu/VMware keywords to get more clues.

HTH

Sergei