Re: Is there any good method to debug eCos application in RAM limited board?

Am Donnerstag, den 12.08.2010, 07:54 -0700 schrieb Peng Liu:
> Because there's only 64KB RAM in the system, I found it's impossible
> to debug my eCos application with Redboot. So I tried to debug
> applications with GDB. I can load the application (smaller than 64KB)
> to RAM, and sometimes can debug it. But most time the GDB session
> would hang...
>
> By the way, OpenJTAG was used in my test.
>
> Does someone have good idea about the debugging?

Well, JTAG should normally be straight forward. I'm using it as the only
debugging method for my ARM9 target (besides LEDs/diag_printf()s)
instead of RedBoots GDB.

1.) Fire up your JTAG<->GDB proxy or server or whatever it's called (in
my case openOCD)
2.) call <toolchain-prefix>-gdb / -gdbtui
3.) in GDB:
    target remote :<whichever port the server is listening to>
    file yourimage.elf
    load
4.) start debugging with gdb / gdbtui

Works absolutely perfect on my ARM9 target with openOCD and a self-built
USB-to-JTAG Adapter (based on FTDI2232).

Cheers,
Manuel