Re: Is there any good method to debug eCos application in RAM limited board?

Hi Peng,

Am Donnerstag, den 12.08.2010, 08:48 -0700 schrieb Peng Liu:
> Yes, JTAG+OpenOCD works for my board as well. But since there's only
> 64KB RAM in my board, I can only debug elf file with limited
> size(.text, .data, .bss) sections.

Well yes, that's definitely a problem. I do have 8MB of external RAM on
my system, so that's no problem for me. But JTAG is the way to go for
you then, because it doesn't add any overhead by itself.

> After I adding a dead loop in the code, GDB worked fine. I don't know
> why.

The only thing I could think of is that the compiler did a hell lot of
optimization, so that stepping with GDB won't do a good job ;)

Did you check your compiler flags for -O options?

> And I can't debug multi-thread application with GDB, GDB would hang
> every time in my debugging. Have you encountered problems when you
> debug multi-thread application?

Not really. But I guess I don't know if I got GDB be aware of the
threads yet, I didn't investigate on that because I did not specifically
need it. But stepping through multi-threaded apps works fine.

Cheers,
Manuel

--
Manuel Borchers