Re: GUI using the Framebuffer API

On 08/03/2010 04:06 PM, Manuel Borchers wrote:
Replying to myself, just for the record:
http://www.ecosforge.net/ecosforge/branches/packages/microwindows-mergecvs/current/
I gave it a try, but failed. After commenting in some sys/select.h
includes, I got further, but I'm now failing with undefined 'nxSocket's
So, my only option is to build my own GUI and UI stuff. Question about
alternative GUI libs still stands, though ;)

We chose a slightly convoluted solution: use Java for the GUI -- we already had a Java app to do GUI stuff. I adapted and upgraded MiKa (formerly Wonka) to suit my needs. It has an AWT implementation that integrates quite nicely w/ the eCos framebuffer, and it has itself implemented fonts, shapes, widgets, etc etc. This MiKa JVM is spawned from the eCos C application. Like your microwindows port, the JVM seems to need a network stack.

However, all this is much work in progress, and it runs as a kind of background task in my work schedule -- other stuff crops up (with appearing hardware) that requires attention immediately. Thus, there are many aspects that are unimplemented, for example, shutting down the JVM; in fact, right now the JVM kills the eCos application at exit time, which won't be terribly hard to fix but I live easily w/ it right now.

Needless to say, this will make your application memory- and CPU-hungry (interpreter without JIT compiler, bunches of threads for small tasks like timeouts etc).

Anyway, our repository is public. If you are interested in giving it a try, or even in cooperating, let me know.

Rutger