STM32 ROM jtag debugging

Hi All,

I'm working on an STM32 application which runs from on-chip flash, and I
would like to debug it with JTAG.
I prefer JTAG debugging to serial debugging from flash for a number of
reasons.

Is anyone else doing this successfully?

I've made the necessary kernel changes to run from internal flash and sram,
and built the examples and they run fine.
My app is much larger and will require some step-debugging.

However, when I connect with JTAG and continue, the debugger halts at the
software interrupt in hal/cortex/arch/current/src/hal_misc.c:191

__asm__ volatile ( "swi" );

And does not step/continue once it breaks there. I can step up to that
point. This happens with the examples and with my app.
Is there a gdb hook or OpenOCD handler, or something else that can manage
this?

I'm using
  eCos 3.0
  OpenOCD 0.4.0, JTAGkey