Re: issue with floor()

On 2010-11-10, David Brennan <david@brennanhome.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the repeated replies to myself.

> [...]

That's not an issue, but you could trimp the quoted material a bit...

> I looked at the gcc website. Specifically about "things which are not
> bugs". And it seems like the strict aliasing issue that they describe
> may be relevant. So I went back and looked at the compiler output when
> compiling optimized, and found this:

> [...]
> warning: dereferencing pointer ?x.0? does break strict-aliasing rules
> [...]
> warning: dereferencing pointer ?x.0? does break strict-aliasing rules
>
> (The same warning actually comes up in several of the libm files)

> So it looks like this may actually be an eCos source code problem. I
> can take a stab at fixing this. But if anyone happens to know right
> away how to do it, I'd welcome the help. This code is not the most
> straight forward.
> [...]

Yep. Things like this are bound to happen when compiler warnings are
ignored.

> the option -fno-strict-aliasing can be used as a work-around.

Well, I'd try adding -fno-stric-aliasing to the compile options for
the relevent packages.

If that fixes it, then you've confirmed the source of the problem, and
the next step is to decide whether to try fixing the libm code or not.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Didn't I buy a 1951
                                  at               Packard from you last March