Re: RedBoot DHCP failure due to race condition.

On 2011-03-17, Tarmo Kuuse <tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee> wrote:
> On 03/17/2011 06:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I don't think we're talking about the same piece of code.  I'm talking
>> about what's in packages/redboot/current/src/net/bootp.c
>
> That is the BOOTP protocol. Sorry, can't comment on this.

It also implements DHCP.

> I was referring to DHCP in /packages/net/common/current/src/dhcp_prot.c.
> It is enabled by CYGPKG_NET_DHCP ("Use full DHCP instead of BOOTP")

Ah. that's the "full up" dhcp client code that requires a kernel and a
real network stack with a BSD socket API.  I'm not having any problems
with that one.

What I'm having problems with is the DHCP implementation in the
Redboot bootloader.  Redboot has it's own stripped-down polled-mode
network "stack" and implementations of things like BOOTP/DHCP client,
Telnet server, and TFTP client.

Redboot's "DHCP" code started out as purely a BOOTP client, and it
looks like when DHCP was added a few obscure failure modes were
overlooked.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! As President I have
                                  at               to go vacuum my coin