RE: Ftp server solution for eCos?

[snip]
> > - FTP consumes a lot of sockets. But sockets in ecos are statically
> > allocated, and their numer is set at compile time. So, when fastly
> > changing from directory in an ftp session, the ftp server will hang
> > for a while, waiting for sockets to be released.
>
> You mean the sockets remain in the TIME_WAIT state, so they
> are not available until a TCP timer expires? Good point.
I think so. A colleague recently recompiled ecos for a project, to lower that timer value (was 20 to 30 seconds I think).
Because with that high value, our FTP was not ready for a customer release.
Maybe I should send a patch to ecos for it (to lower the timer value) because I believe that timer is needlessly high for an embedded RTOS.

> The CD is probably not a problem, but any command using
(With our FTP server it is a problem.)

> the data connection can be. I don't know what eCos does
> in this situation, but it is surely one thing to keep
> in mind.
>
> My port allows to both configure the max. number of clients
> allowed (CYGNUM_NET_FTPSERVER_MAX_CLIENTS) and set it
> at runtime (max_nr_of_clients), so at least the number
> of sockets actually used is bound.
The FTP server we use can only have 1 client at the same time, and had already problems with the number of sockets.
We use FTP for a database upload, with a lot of files, and if the number of files is too big it finally crashes (because of that too high timer value).

Kind regards,
Jürgen