Re: Re: How to use IP/UDP/TCP checksum offload HW?

On 6/7/2011 7:41 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2011-06-07, Ilija Kocho<ilijak@siva.com.mk> wrote:

Must we look at the latest BSD code to see how to implement this?
Maybe.  Or there might be a simpler way to do it.  I would guess that
the current FreeBSD has an API to configure this on a per-interface
basis at run-time.

If we can assume that there is only one external interface, then we
don't need any API or runtime checks, just a few strategic #if/#endif
pairs and some CDL to control them.
So how do we progress this? Should we offline exchange the mods we've
each tried (code and CDL)?
I won't have any hardware available until Q4.  So I probably won't be
ble to spend much time on it for a few months.

I am going to need the same soon only with lwIP. Recent on-chip
Ethernet controllers provide for some IP processing so IMO we should
address this issue generally. Is there place for some community
project?
There are a number of svn/git/hg/whatever hosting sites that could be
used.  IIRC, somebody had set up a site to host eCos-related stuff, I
guess this is it:

http://ecosx.sourceforge.net/

It doesn't look like it's been touched for 5 years, but the guy who
set it up is still active on other projects on sourceforge.

One question in my mind is whether it needs to be run-time
configurable on a per-interface basis, or can it be a global,
build-time option.

My view is that it should be either (or both) run-time or CDL configurable on a per-interface basis. When using more than one network interface, one cannot assume that the each have the same capabilities.

Jay