HAL porting for an ARM926-based processor

I'm quite new to eCos, but already have an overall imagine of its
architecture. In the nearest future I will be responsible for development of
HAL for an ARM926-based processor. I am going to base my work on the
existing version of HAL for Atmel AT91SAM9X series processor. If you have
experience of porting eCos HAL, can you specify the most difficult issues of
the process. (The interrupt controller is similar to the Atmel's existing,
but the timer system is completely new). For now I am not acquainted with
the new platform for which I will be daveloping HAL, so I ask only for
overall impression.

Thank you in advance.