Re: Disable IPv6 at startup?

On 2012-02-16, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 08:06:19PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> What's the simplest/best way to "disable" IPv6 at runtime?
>>
>> For IPv4 if you never set up any addresses or routes, then that's
>> "disabled enough" since it won't respond visibly to any IPv4 packets
>> (AFAICT).
>>
>> However, for IPv6, there is a default link-local address and a
>> link-local route -- so even if the user application never sets up any
>> IPv6 configuration, the device will respond to IPv6 packets (neighbor
>> discovery, ping, etc).
>
> Hi Grant
>
> I think link-local is mandatory. See section 2.8 of RFC 4291.

It's definitely mandatory if you're doing IPv6.  What I want is to
_not_ do IPv6.  Except I don't know whether or not I want to do IPv6
or not until runtime, so the eCos network stack has to be built with
IPv6 enabled.

If "no IPv6 at all" isn't possible, then I'll settle for no IPv6
externally visible (never send an IPv6 packet and no visible effects
from receiving them).

> So i _guess_ you need to ensure IPv6 is not bound to the interface.

Yea, that's sort of what I was thinking, but my browsing around the
source code hasn't illuminated a way to do it.

There are three prime suspects:

 ip6_init()

    I can't find anywhere that appears to be called.

 ip6_init2()

    That's gets registered in the SYS_INIT table.

 DOMAIN_SET(inet6)

    Registers something in a table, but I haven't figured out what.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I request a weekend in
                                  at               Havana with Phil Silvers!