Re: eCos development tools

Hello Mohamed

Please post questions regarding eCos to the ecos discuss mailing list.
Besides for the community the benefit shall be also yours since other
people can answer some aspects of your questions better than me.

On 17.02.2012 09:09, Mohamed Amine Blidi wrote:
> dear ilija,
>
> I'm a student in computer science and I'm interested to the eCos and
> how we can do the porting of this system on STM32F4 cortex M4
>
> So, I read your contribution in the eCos mailing list*"Gnutools:
> consideration for upgrade to GCC 4.6". *It seams interesting for me

FYI The test release of eCos arm-eabi GNU tools 4.6.2 available. Details
for download and installation you can find here:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2012-02/msg00015.html
Any feedback from you will be appreciated.

> I want to ask you for the method of porting eCos on STM32F4 and how to
> develop drivers, the tools needed for the process development of drivers.

Regarding porting process I would direct you to eCos documentation:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs.html
particularly "eCos reference"
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/ecos-ref.html
and "Component writer's guide"
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/cdl-guide/cdl-guide.html

Also there's a nice book "Embedded Software Development with eCos" by
Anthony J. Massa that you will find at same place.

> I found that i can develop this part with eclipse, codeSourcery and
> GNU toolchain but it's not clear at all. I need your help to clarify
> if we can transform the outPut of the configuration tool ( .ecc,
> build, install) to an eclipse project and how to develop driver on it.
> If there is another method, please tell me.

I havn't used Code Sourcery but from mailing lists I could see that some
people do so, I take it that works for them. However I would recommend
you to use eCos GNU tools 4.6.2 since they include support for Cortex-M4
- including single precision FPU.

I am not much of eclipse expert but I can give you some hints
    - when creating a project select "Makefile project" and "Other
toolchain" or "Cross GCC",
    - for debugging select "Hardware debugging" or if hardware debugging
is not available install Zylin plugin,
    - be persistent, nothing will happen by itself but effort will pay off,
    - read documentation,
    - googling,
    - as i said read the documentation,
    - come back with questions at the mailing list

    Have fun

Ilija
P.S. have i mentioned you to read the documentation?