Re: Re: GDB stub support

Hi John,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:00:50 +0000
> Von: John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk>
> An: schuster_bernd@gmx.net
> CC: eCos Discussion <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
> Betreff: [ECOS] Re: GDB stub support

> Hi Bernd
>
> On 17/12/12 17:24, Bernd Schuster wrote:
>
> > unfortunately I couldn`t get GDB working as expected.
> >
> > At the moment, I`m able to run Redboot at my target system - mips32
> > 24kc processor as ROMRAM version. When redboot starts, I`m able to
> > see all messages from the redboot bootloader by my serial port ttyS0
> > (configurated with 115200 baud). After that redboot starts my
> > application which is located at the addr 0x800400BC by a short boot
> > script.
> >
> > Now, I`m trying to add GDB support by using the same serial interface
> > ttyS0. I`m not totally sure if that could be already the problem,
> > because my application also puts some messages to this serial interface.
> >
> > When I enable GDB with the following commands I can see that cutecom -
> > terminal programm - will go from the open to the close state. That`s
> > seems a correct behaviour to me. Furthermore I got a very small message
> > on the serial terminal - something like that:
> >
> > RedBoot>
> > RedBoot>+$#00
>
> You have two host-side applications competing for incoming characters
> arriving on a single serial port. In the above example, your terminal
> emulator has received characters intended for GDB. You must close your
> terminal program before attempting to connect to RedBoot's GDB stub.
>
> It is perfectly feasible to use a single channel for both debug and
> diagnostics as you suggest. You should configure eCos (for your
> application build) with CYG_HAL_STARTUP == "RAM" and with
> CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR enabled. You should then find that (by
> default) diagnostic/trace messages from your application are routed via
> the GDB stub and appear within your GDB session on the host.

That means, it is much more comfortable to download only the redboot bootloader to my flash memory and download the application (eCos O/S together with my own software app) by GDB instead of having already everything installed on my MIPS board? I asked this because it will take some time to download the application by serial port instead of being able to download a new file by ethernet.

I already found the specific ecm file where
cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP {
    user_value ROMRAM
};
I have to specify RAM instead of ROMRAM. It seams that CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR is already enabled if I use RAM instead of ROMRAM.

> For avoidance of doubt, you can use the GDB "load" command to download
> your application to RAM when debugging an application configured for RAM
> startup. It is not necessary to load it at the "RedBoot>" prompt.

Do I have to specify the correct RAM-addr where the application has to be downloaded? Because the load command consists only of "load filename".

> I hope this helps...

Thanks for your help in advance!

best regards
Bernd