Re: ARM Cortex RM4?

Hi Mathew

Putting eCos on Cortex-R device would be a great thing. I can't
calculate how much time it would take, but here I'm trying to specify
what should be done. On first site Cortex-R architecture seems to have
enough ARM so it could be added as variant (or variants) to ARM
architecture. In order to get eCos prompt to serial port, one will need
to make:

   - Boot code;
   - Clocking support;
   - Interrupt controller support;
   - HAL diagnostic driver.

Eventually, (dependent how much Cortex-R differs from ARM) It may also
be necessary to deal with exception vectors.

Once you get "Hello world" on your HAL diagnostic driver you will need
real serial driver. My advice is to check existing drivers abroad eCos
tree, there may be a driver for your serial controller already.

You may also want hardware floating point. You may look at Cortex-M
port, as Cortex-M4F and Cortex-RF may have similar FPU units.

Regarding toolchain, you may give a try to eCos gnutools test release
4.6.3 Ref
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2012-06/msg00047.html that
includes  multilib support for FPv4-SP-D16 (I would appreciate if you
send some feedback)

I hope this helps, do not hesitate to ask and have fun.

Ilija