Questions about CDL dependencies in eCos

 Hi everyone,

I am a researcher at the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. As part of a research team with members from both the University of Waterloo and Carnegie Mellon University, USA, we are interested in creating automated tools for large configurable software. We are currently working on automatically reverse engineering configuration dependencies from code such that all dependencies between configuration features are documented (similar to those documented in CDL files). This is useful to automatically identify dependencies that need to be enforced in the configuration files. These tools can also help with consistency checks between the code and the dependencies specified in configuration files (such as CDL files). We have tested our infrastructure on four different open-source systems, including eCos, and can already recover many of the existing dependencies [1]. We are now doing a qualitative investigation of dependencies from the perspective of developers. We want to understand the sources of such configuration dependencies as well as the general reasons why developers enforce dependencies in practice.

To improve our tools, and to better understand the configuration dependencies enforced, we are interested in talking to developers who are familiar with CDL dependencies and/or who use the configuration features during coding (e.g., through #ifdef macro). This can take place through an online questionnaire and/or phone/Skype interviews. Either of these would take 15 min of your time. We would discuss when you enforce dependencies in CDL, your usage of #ifdefs in the code, as well as concrete examples of dependencies we could not automatically recover.

If you are willing to participate, please fill in the questionnaire found at http://bit.ly/1mjy326 and/or reply to this email to set up an interview time.

Thanks,

Sarah Nadi
University of Waterloo, ON, Canada
snadi@uwaterloo.ca
http://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~snadi

[1] Sarah Nadi, Thorsten Berger, Christian Kästner, Krzysztof Czarnecki. Mining Configuration Constraints: Static Analyses and Empirical Results. In ICSE'14: Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Software Engineering, Hyderabad, India, 2014.