Re: eCos port to IDT processors

Ferguson, Ian wrote:
IDT has just completed (via an external contractor very familiar with the
eCos operating system) a eCos port (v2.0) to an existing embedded processor.
This CPU core uses a 32-bit MIPS CPU core.

I have looked quickly through the FAQ and the license agreement, but I
wanted to check with you on the next steps we must take to get this code
released via yourselves into the public domain.

Should we be emailing source code over to someone there once we sign the
license agreement?
Well, the first thing to be aware of with respect to the licence is that most of the web site refers to the licence for eCos 1.3.1, which, while it is the "latest" release, is in fact a very old release. The licence for new code has in fact changed. So be sure you are using the new licence text based on the GPL and not the RHEPL.

The next step in any case is to get the copyright assignment sorted. That should still be mailed to Red Hat. See http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/assign.html for the two forms required for that. The developer(s) sign the form and IDT sign the copyright disclaimer form.

Then, finally :-), you send the code to ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com where a maintainer will go through it and apply it. It's good to split it up into manageable chunks if possible rather than a massive patch. Each patch needs review, and the maintainer may give you review comments indicating if something could be done a better way. Although most times the maintainer will just make the changes themselves anyway!

After that, it's checked in and freely available with the main eCos sources to the world!

Sorry for such a basic question, but as it is the first time for us in the
eCos world, we have a bit of a learning curve to go up.
No problems. We'll help where we can :-).