Re: Future code ownership

Andrew Lunn wrote:
Note: I have no intention of forcing people with an existing Red Hat assignment to change. That's up to them, and I don't think it makes significant difference since Red Hat's copyright on a lot of the code is here to stay. However, I think it is in the best interests of the Open Source project for any significant contributions to be "moved" to the new system, and certainly this would become the requirement for new assignments.

How does this 'move' work in practice? Do we change the copywrite
headers on the source or does it keep the modified GPL?
We change the assignment proforma and tell people to use the new assignment forms. We maintainers would probably switch to the new assignment immediately (probably by informing Red Hat the previous assignment is now cancelled), but as I said, I don't want to force anyone with an existing Red Hat assignment to sign a new one if they don't want to. Anyone with an existing RH assignment can and should be allowed to continue contributing on that basis if they want, with their code then becoming (C) Red Hat.

Can existing code, which i contributed in the past, like say the DNS &
FTP client etc, be moved?
Only if it wasn't already assigned to Red Hat. So in those specific cases, no.