Re: v2.0 beta branch

Gary Thomas wrote:
On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:46, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

Hi guys,

We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch in advance of the proper beta release so we can make sure it's a stable base for testing and generating the beta.

If there are no objections I'll do it later this evening.

Can you set a specific time for this? I'd like to see if I can have a new [platform] port ready before that. n.b. it's pretty much ready
now, I was just going to do a few tweaks before submitting.
Let's say 19:30 GMT. Jld wants to do some testing over the weekend, and wants to get it started this evening.

If I miss this "deadline", it's no big deal, but it would be nice
to get in under the wire.
I think we'll have to move to an "approve before commits" system pretty much straight away for anything but trivial bug fixes. So commit to the trunk when you're ready, post the patch, and $SOMEONEELSE can decide if it's safe or not.

At a guess, if it's very self-contained it's probably ok; if it plays around in arch/variant HALs for example, then probably not. So if it's the latter, it may not be worth busting a gut.

It'll probably be okay to relax the branch commit requirements a bit once the beta release is actually spun from the branch and available for download, just to make life easier for the beta period before the final.

This is only for target code of course, not docs etc.

Separately, but relevant before the branch, I and the other guys think it's about time we renamed the net template to old_net and new_net to net. Is this okay too? Obviously we'll update the docs with that.

When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
not net working/available with the new stack.
Yep. And will do the CDL requires which seals it :-).