Proposal for processing patches for the eCos 2.0 branch

Hello eCos Maintainers

I've spoken with some of you already about putting in place a process for
deciding which patches do and do not get applied to the eCos 2.0 branch
from now on. I would like to suggest that we post proposals for patching
the 2.0 branch to the ecos-maintainers (sic) list. Each proposal should
contain:

a) A brief name by which we can all refer to the patch.

b) A description of what the patch achieves or the problem which it
addresses. No more than a few sentences.

c) A rationale for including the patch in the 2.0 final release. This
rationale should be mindful of the need to minimise disruption to the
branch as far as possible and therefore preserve the value of 2.0b1 testing
feedback from the eCos community. A good rationale might be: "This patch
touches the XYZ platform HAL package only. Support for this platform is
currently completely broken." A bad rationale might be: "This patch
provides feature ABC which I've been intending to implement for ages and
would really like to see in the eCos 2.0 final release."

d) The patch itself, or a URL to the patch in the ecos-patches list archive.

I would like the eCos maintainers to then have a maximum period of 2 days to
debate before (hopefully) a consensus is reached. If consensus is not
reached then a simple majority verdict among the maintainers should
prevail.

The above procedure should be adopted for all target side code in the branch
at minimum. There is still quite a bit of work to be done on the configtool
for 2.0 final so we might consider excepting configtool code from this
process.

The usual procedures for patches to the trunk of the repository would be
unaffected by all this.

Please comment on or otherwise indicate your acceptance of this proposal and
whether you think configtool patches should be excepted or not.

Thanks

John Dallaway