Re: New CPM/DPRAM allocator

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 11:22, Nick Garnett wrote:
> Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc dot com> writes:

> > > Good. Not as pervasive as I suspected. It looks like Gary is investigating
> > > why the incompatibility is there at all. Hopefully he can resolve the
> > > compatibility issue. I will delay my vote on accepting this into the 2.0
> > > branch pending his report.
> >
> > I've just tried this - CVS latest eCos + old (2.0beta) RedBoot
> > on the Adder and I can't see a failure.  I tried both the default
> > and net templates.
> >
> > Nick - any ideas how I can duplicate the failure?
> >

> I'm afraid not. I was, until Monday, using the default RedBoot
> installed by A&M on the board. Maybe there were other changes since
> that was made that make this problem go away.
>
> As explained elsewhere, what I saw was the value at
> (CYGHWR_HAL_VSR_TABLE + 0x1F0) was 0xFFFF. This caused
> _mpc8xx_allocBd() to reset it to QUICC_BD_BASE and start allocating
> network rxbds from there. At some point during that process it
> obviously overwrote something being used by redboot's serial device,
> which then went haywire.
>
> I don't see how the code as it stands can avoid this. How does the new
> eCos know where to allocate BDs to avoid trampling on an old RedBoot's
> BDs? Just allocating from the start it seems bound to trample on
> something important.

Only that the old code didn't use 0x2000 for it's buffers, but
0x2800 (for the serial ports).  The only driver that this should
affect would be the serial driver in the installed RedBoot.  If
the new allocator is using a different "base", then there should
be no conflict.

Do you recall what configurations/templates/etc you were using?

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary at mlbassoc dot com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc