Patch policy

** Disclaimer: I'm sure that I'm as guilty as anyone

There seems to be a gap [i.e. failing] in the response to
patches from outsiders.  Sometimes they are handled quite
quickly, sometimes never.  I think we need to establish
some policies on how to handle these efficiently.

In an ideal world, patches from outside our group would
be posted to a database which could be queried by anyone.
Maybe the easiest way to do this would be to forward the
patch to BugZilla.

At the very least, we should try and assign a patch to
a maintainer within some short period of time and then it's
that person's responsibility to take care of it - whatever
the outcome.  As is, I see things come in that I'm comfortable
with that sometimes I take up, sometimes I leave by.  In the
latter case, I simply assume that someone else will handle
it.  I think this is the failing.

I know everyone is busy (or hopefully so!) and this is certainly
not a finger-pointing, but our credibility may be affected.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates