Re: Patch policy

Andrew Lunn wrote:
This is policy that we would have to develop (decide on).
One way would be to only accept patches via BugZilla.  Then the
onus would be on the submitter.  To make this policy work, maybe
we'd want to have the default owner of the "bug" be the patches
list, or at least send a copy there.

I think part of the problem is that there is no clear owner of a
patch. So i would not set the default owner to "bug", but rather the
owner of the component, so we have a real name we can point a finger
at. The assignment can be changed manually if its not appropriate.

One important thing we're missing though is a sort-of "checklist" for patches. We (I) have been lax in the past sometimes, and then the problem multiplies when someone uses a laxly written port as a basis for _their_ port. Part of that would be coding standards - not so much indent level and such like as just making sure comments in files refer to the current filename not an old one, author is correct, doesn't mention the architecture/platform it was derived from etc. But we have to solve our own inconsistencies there too!

A (script-driven) overhaul of our standard preamble would help a lot too - authors vs. contributors is somewhat ambiguous. I would prefer "maintainer" and contributors, where the former is the person responsible for the file (not necessarily one of us, i.e. not necessarily a maintainer maintainer :-)) and the latter is _anyone_ who's touched the file (if they want). But this is just one of the low priority things to do that there's never enough impetus to do.