Re: Patch policy

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
[...]
Interestingly, the main s.r.c eCos and redboot websites have _never_ mentioned trademarks, nor has the logo ever had a (TM) superscript. The logo isn't a registered trademark AFAIK, so RH's legal protection is minimal.

Incorrect. ECOS and the logo are *both* registered trademarks of Red Hat, so be careful there. The TM superscript does indeed exist for the logo on all handouts given away by Red Hat and Cygnus, and I have correspondence from Mark Webbink verifying this.

Of course the other strong argument is that Red Hat don't really have any desire to make a fuss when the point is that they don't intend to assert control over eCos any more.

I agree with this, although I would seek Red Hat's permission and stump up the megacash they are asking if I were to use the logo in a commercial context. However, as a free open source project I don't believe Red Hat will object to its use in the context proposed. See my previous email...

IANAL

-- Alex