Re: [ECOS] Re: eCosCentric copyright hold in headers

[ Moved to maintainers list ]

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
Andrew Lunn wrote:

[...]

Yep. It should all get blasted away when the FSF assignment happens (don't ask).

Which is my i asked. We should keep track of this just in case...

and for the benefit of all...

When I asked them face-to-face last week at ESCW, Red Hat were unable to provide a date when the actual assignment to the FSF would happen. Apparently everything has passed through legal and it is now a matter of waiting for their engineer to become available to actually make the assignment and header changes.

We could offer to do the changes for them but would need legal-sign off from someone in Red Hat for all the files that would have their copyright changed. If we are going to help make this happen, I suggest we provide Red Hat with a list of all the eCos files for which they hold copyright and have them approve the list (in writing). We can then make the copyright changes and assignments to the FSF (including eCosCentric and other maintainer held copyrights) in one go, which would make a lot of sense.

I'd have hoped we wouldn't have to be responsible for that. While we could search for the copyright banner in files, I can't guarantee every file contains a Red Hat copyright that should have (even from the days when we^H^HRed Hat were working on eCos). And for the files without a Red Hat copyright banner, it would need careful identification to work out whether they are Red Hat's or someone elses (or indeed are mostly someone elses but may contain portions of RH code thus making it a derived work). The consequences of us making a mistake with the identification is painful; but if Red Hat makes the mistake it's nowhere near as bad and I believe intent does matter a lot in these circumstances.

It would be much much nicer if Red Hat could arrange some sort of blanket assignment, perhaps just by reference to the contents of the entire eCos CVS repository at ecos.sourceware.org. Or perhaps just list every repository file, irrespective of copyright and finetune the wording of the assignment so that it assigns any right and title that _may_ belong to Red Hat in the listed files. I'm no lawyer though. I'd be more than willing to talk to them about ways it could be done though..... if they'll talk to me!