Re: Cirrus EP93xx support

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 14:27, Daniel Gomes wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> sorry to bother and take your time. I´ve just downloaded the eCos 2.0
> from the official site and saw that there's no EDB93xx support, but
> Cirrus Logic is distributing an eCos 2.0 version with support for
> these family of eval boards.
>
> I'd like to see such boards supported in the official eCos 2.0, but
> looks like Cirrus doesn't, for some reason I don't know.
>
> Since Cirrus eCos 2.0 customizations are based in GPL work, every code
> in Cirrus eCos 2.0 is GPL and I can distribute it according to GPL
> terms, right ?
>
> Would you like me to send you the Cirrus eCos 2.0, so you can
> diff/patch and add it to the official eCos ?
>
> This way, every EP93xx SoC user would be beneficed, not only those who
> bought the EDB9xx kit from Cirrus.
>
> Sorry if I'm talking nonsense and there's already a release planned
> with support for such boards/processors.

As far as I know, there is no movement towards putting the Cirrus code
into the main repository.  The stumbling block is that since we have
a modified GPL license, we cannot accept code without a transfer of
copyright.

So, as much as it would make sense to add this to the repository, it
could only happen if Cirrus grants permission by signing the copyright
transfer paperwork.

Of course, you are free to redistribute the work, per the GPL.  We just
can't do it without this permission.

Sorry.

n.b. this is really an eCos maintainer issue, so I've copied this email
to our official [internal] list.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates