FWD: Re: [ECOS] Status of eCos copyright assignments to the FSF?

> ----- Forwarded message from Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:59:16 +0100
> To: Wouter Cloetens <wouter@mind.be>
> Cc: eCos Discuss <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
> From: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
> Subject: Re: [ECOS] Status of eCos copyright assignments to the FSF?
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 02:08:50PM +0100, Wouter Cloetens wrote:
> > More than a year has passed since this announcement:
> > http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-announce/2003/msg00008.html.
> >
> > Is there any progress? We have a list of contributions we would like to
> > make, but assigning copyright to eCosCentric is a sensitive issue. While
> > we would prefer a model without copyright assignment (e.g. I just took
> > a look at my Apache Software Foundation Contributor Licence Agreement,
> > and this model seems preferable to me; legal validity and advantages of a
> > copyright assignment can be questioned), we would be more inclined to
> > 1. assign copyright to the FSF instead of eCosCentric, and
> > 2. explicitly limit the scope of the assignment to only that code that we
> > want to specifically contribute, rather than signing a blanket
> > assignment.
>
> We are still waiting for RedHat to make good on their promise to
> assign there parts of eCos to the FSF. It is nearly a year since they
> made their press release about doing this.....

Hi Jifl

I think its about time we officialy told RedHat about our counter
press release we will make on 13th Jan 2005. We should give them a
fair chance to actually make the transfer. I expect they unofficially
know what is coming, i expect somebody in Redhat is reading
ecos-maintainers and has seen the discussion we had at the beginning
of the month. So two weeks notice does not seem too unreasonable.

        Andrew