Re: Commentary on the OPL

Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

We use the Open Publications Licence for our docs as you know. I've stumbled across this interesting commentary on it. It's quite interesting, to me at least :)...

Was there some requirement for FSF that we change license?

Not yet. But they may either try to insist, or at least argue strongly that we use the FDL. If the latter then we'd have to have a strong belief that we're using the most appropriate licence. That commentary undermines some of that belief, to me at least.

Not that the FDL seems very good either. I have concerns, shared by others on the net, about how "Free" the FDL is. For example, how Free is it in section 4 <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html>. There's a whole load of things that restrict freedom there, and a "modification" need only be trivial.

It's very different to the GPL in principle. The GPL is all about the freedom to modify. The FDL is all about restrictions on that.