Re: update ARM platform HALs

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
John Dallaway wrote:
Hi Bart

Bart Veer wrote:

This patch updates all ARM platform HALs to use arm-eabi-gcc instead
of arm-elf-gcc, and removes -mno-short-load-words from platforms that
still used it.

Thank you for the check-in.

The eCosCentric arm-eabi pre-built toolchains do not include StrongARM
multi-libs. AFAIK, users who want to build eCos for these targets will
therefore need to either build their own arm-eabi-gcc or revert to
CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX == "arm-elf" and use the older arm-elf-gcc
3.2.1. Can you please let me know what the intention is here so I can
mention this in the eCos 3.0 release notes?

This was discussed before IRL, and I believe until I hear to the contrary that strongarm should probably still work. It just won't be perfectly optimal as it will fall back to the arm7tdmi multilib (the default); but now actually looking at GCC sources, I think it may have only a virtually perceptible effect even then.

Actually there is one exception that should probably not be arm-eabi which is the AEB target, which is arm7di and so can't work with the new tools. Sorry I should have mentioned that yesterday Bart. Maybe it's worth putting that one back, but it may not be worth even that effort since no-one will be using it... I think it hasn't been sold for going on 10 years now.

... but someone was actually asking about it in the last few months. Better to try and not break things, if possible, no matter how old.