This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
Re: Welcome to sources.redhat.com
- From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl at ecoscentric dot com>
- To: Andrew Lunn <andrew dot lunn at ascom dot ch>
- Cc: eCos Maintainers <ecos-maintainers at sources dot redhat dot com>, ecos-patches at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:17:14 +0100
- Subject: Re: Welcome to sources.redhat.com
- References: <email@example.com> <3D501063.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20020806185528.GE4434@biferten.ma.tech.ascom.ch>
Andrew Lunn wrote:
If you don't mind, for the time being, if you write your own patches can
you still submit them for approval by any other maintainer anyway rather
than going ahead and checking it in and just posting the patch?
Should this be to ecos-patches or ecos-maintainers?
Looks absolutely fine. I saw the ChangeLog in my ecos-patches backlog
which is fine too. There's no time like the present to try committing
A while ago i posted to ecos-patches a patch for the ftp client. Here
is what i want to commit:
Oh yes, I forgot to say one thing. When you commit, people have different
habits about what the commit message should be. Some people go for the
really minimal approach of just saying what changed in _each_ file. In
that scenario, they normally leave the commit message for the ChangeLog
The other way some people do it is by cut'n'pasting your ChangeLog entry
without the banner and using that as the text for _all_ the files, i.e.
yours would be
* src/ftpclient.c: Send "quit" not "quit " to keep some servers
Also deal with multi line replies correctly
I prefer this approach as it's less work, and when you make a change it
keeps the change "set" together, i.e. you'll see what other files were
involved as part of this change if you do a cvs log.
Gary takes the former approach I believe, although perhaps he has emacs
macros or something to help him which might be why.
Commit log messages are also important as they are what people see in the
ecos-cvs list, which I certainly read, and I'm pretty sure Gary does too.
Yeah, what fun lives we lead ;).
--[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]--
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine