This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
Re: Flash driver for MSys DOC2000
- From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl at eCosCentric dot com>
- To: David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead dot org>
- Cc: iz at vsr dot si, eCos developers <ecos-devel at sources dot redhat dot com>, eCos PatchesList <ecos-patches at sources dot redhat dot com>, Ilguiz Latypov<ilatypov at superbt dot com>
- Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:46:20 +0100
- Subject: Re: Flash driver for MSys DOC2000
- References: <3D511C39.3000804@eCosCentric.com> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <3D09DB5E.7016E14A@jifvik.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
David Woodhouse wrote:
And after some checking with David, I think the conclusion is indeed that
we can now only include the patch if the FSF permit it to be included, but
under our very slightly weaker licence (i.e. the exception to the GPL).
Normally you would need to provide a copyright assignment to Red Hat
as per http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos?file=47 before we can
integrate your contribution.
But I also see in this case that your contribution includes code from
GRUB. This is licenced under the "vanilla" GPL, which is something we
do not wish to permit in eCos code as it undermines the special
licence exception text we have.
I see the code also has David Woodhouse's name on it. David, is the
GRUB code, mentioned in the patch above all yours? And if so are you
willing to provide it under the eCos GPL+exception as well?
The stuff in MTD CVS (grub/ directory) is all mine, IIRC. You're welcome to
license it under eCos-compatible terms -- are you still actually insisting
upon copyright assignment to Red Hat? Does it matter that I just assigned
the copyright to the FSF so it could actually get included in Grub? :)
Any later changes which actually make the thing work probably belong to
Iz, I think if you want the code included, you'll need to chat with the
FSF ( mailto:email@example.com ) and get their permission to use GPL'd GRUB code
under the eCos licence. Until then, I'm afraid the best I can do is put
the patch up on our contributions page. Sorry :-|.
--[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]--
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine