This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
RE: Request for comments - Redboot load command writing directlyto flash
- From: Øyvind Harboe <oyvind dot harboe at zylin dot com>
- To: "'Gary Thomas'" <gary at mlbassoc dot com>
- Cc: "'eCos patches'" <ecos-patches at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:25:11 +0200
- Subject: RE: Request for comments - Redboot load command writing directlyto flash
>I really doubt that you'd ever want to do that, just for
>debugging, since most FLASH devices will wear out after
>only a few (100,000 or so) cycles. Debugging could
>easily cause this level of activity very quickly.
I was told to ignore this by the HW guys I work with.
They told me to take a bit of care when writing software
not to overly stress the flash memory. One story they had
was about a case where every time a log file entry was updated
the flash was modified. That caused a problem eventually :-)