This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
[Bug 1001716] MIPS malta + sead3 update
- From: bugzilla-daemon at bugs dot ecos dot sourceware dot org
- To: ecos-patches at ecos dot sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:06:23 +0000
- Subject: [Bug 1001716] MIPS malta + sead3 update
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <email@example.com/>
Please do not reply to this email. Use the web interface provided at:
Jonathan Larmour <firstname.lastname@example.org> changed:
What |Removed |Added
Ever Confirmed|0 |1
--- Comment #1 from Jonathan Larmour <email@example.com> 2012-12-13 16:06:22 GMT ---
Thanks for contributing back! The first thing that will be needed to allow this
to be checked in to the repository is a copyright assignment from MIPS to the
FSF. Please read http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html and fill in the form
linked from the there and submit it to the FSF.
In terms of the patch itself, a few things that stand out that would want
addressing, some are vital licensing issues, some are to match existing eCos
coding standard practice:
- You need ChangeLog entries for all changes
- New files should have the standard form of file banners at the start we use,
and in preparation for the assignment being completed should be marked as
Copyright the Free Software Foundation. Obviously, refer to any other files for
examples. The .ecm files, essentially being generated, can have their copyright
- I suspect you would not want to assign copyright of msc01_pci.h to the FSF as
it comes from elsewhere. In which case it should still have a standard eCos
license/information banner at the beginning, but MIPS will also have to provide
a license which this file may be used under, which must be compatible with the
GPL. My suggestion would be either the GNU All-permissive license:
or the modified BSD license:
- CYGPKG_MALTA_QEMU and CYGPKG_SEAD3 need descriptions.
- CYGPKG_IO_MALTA_SERIAL should be an option not a component.
- Naming of globals and functions should either have a cyg_ or hal_ prefix. For
example the functions uart_*, malta_*, arch_pci_config_access(),
- Can you explain the change in memory address of mlt_mips_malta_ram.ldi ? If
nothing else, this will cause compatibility problems with existing ROM
monitors. Does it reflect a hardware change? If so, we would need existing
hardware to continue working.
- The use of uart2_channel looks a lot like a bodge. There are two serial
devices after all. I think this wants improvement. If you aren't able to do it
(short of time), it should be submitted into bugzilla as a bug report so the
issue is tracked and not forgotten.
- uart_debug and uart2_printf should be removed - standard HAL APIs should be
- Is there really a need for the extra .ld files? Can't you just use ifdefs in
the normal mips_mips32.ld file?
That will do for a first pass of comments I think. We'll wait for the
assignment to come through before anything else.
Configure bugmail: http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug.