Re: [open-source] Re: Wish for 2002 ...

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > In this proposed statement, I try to express that:
> > -There is still doubt in the mind of the GNU libc maintainers of
> > the security benefits provided by strlcat & strlcpy.
>
> What about Kaz' objection that the semantics of these functions is not
> clearly defined?

It is lamentable that there has been some divergence, but that doesn't
mean one has to freeze, paralyzed with indecision, and do nothing.  The
original Usenix paper, which in the absence of formal standardization is
the closest thing we have to a standard, specified the semantics in some
detail; is there a question it does not answer?

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net