Re: File names start with aux

Yup, I just checked this on NT under a DOS shell using "dir prn.c" and "dir
aux.c" -- another assinine behaviour of Windoze.

Noel

cgf@cygnus.com on 2000.10.04 17:31:05

Please respond to cygwin@sources.redhat.com

To:   cygwin@sources.redhat.com
cc:   (bcc: Noel L Yap)
Subject:  Re: File names start with aux

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 05:27:14PM -0400, Noel L Yap wrote:
>I'm not sure if this turbulence should apply to filenames such as "aux.c".

I think you inadvertently sent this to the wrong mailing list.

You probably meant to send this to the "billgates@microsoft.com" mailing
list.

cgf

>cgf@cygnus.com on 2000.10.04 17:14:57
>
>Please respond to cygwin@sources.redhat.com
>
>To:   cygwin@sources.redhat.com
>cc:   (bcc: Noel L Yap)
>Subject:  Re: File names start with aux
>

>On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 03:10:27PM -0600, urs muff wrote:
>>I try to create a file called aux.c or aux.h and the latest version of
>>cygwin does not allow that.  If I make a 'ls' on aux, aux.c, aux.h, aux.* I
>>will always get 'crw-r--r--   0 everyone Everyone   0,   0 Dec 31  1969
>>aux.c'.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?  All commands trying
>>to read from files like that are just stalling.  (Probably trying to read
>>from the COM port).
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>
>Welcome to Windows.  Hope you enjoy the ride.
>
>You may notice slight turbulence when attempting to use such filenames
>as "com1", "aux", "lpt1", "prn", and others.  Please keep your hands and
>feet on your keyboard during this time.

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.