Re: A dumb CR/LF question

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 09:57:54AM -0600, Dan Haynes wrote:
>I'm using 1.1.4 now, just upgraded from B20.1 which I've been using for
>a good long while.  I did a fresh install from the net about a week
>ago, using all defaults.  Now I do a:
>
>cat ./build/f1 ./build/f2 | sort >/tmp/f3
>
>Passing the output through some utiltities like 'sort' causes line
>endings to be expanded to CR CR LF (two carriage returns and a line
>feed)

Thanks for the report.  It wasn't a dumb question at all.  I don't think
that you are the first to report this, but it finally sunk into my
feeble brain that there may be a problem here.

I took some time to investigate this, and there is actually a problem in
the rewritten \r\n text handling code in cygwin.  It looks like the
problem has existed since 1.1.1.  The symptom is that when cygwin wrote
out a buffer, it would add a \r in front of any \n regardless of whether
the '\n' was already preceded by a \r or not.

I've fixed this, so it will be in the next snapshot.  Please give it a try.
I'd like to nail this down for 1.1.5.

Thanks for the bug report with a simple example that I could easily
duplicate.

cgf